Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Look out for the Loose Livestock

Kodiak has been full of many surprises. I have been staying in downtown Kodiak for my training the last two weeks. Downtown consists of a fairly large harbor, 1 coffee shop, 1 movie theater, a subway, a bank and a few miscellaneous shops. There are however, an uncountable amount of bars and a charming brewery at the end of the road. Beer in Alaska is EXCELLENT! For the last two weeks I have had my head down in work. Learning the ropes and trying to follow all safety procedures in order to keep from freezing in the Bering Sea! After a non stop schedule I was able to sneak away for a day and go explore a little bit. 2 new friends, an Oregon duck and a Canadian Goose, hired a car with me for the day and we set off on the only road out of town. The road extends along the coast North and South. When you get to the downtown intersection you go right or left to find 2 stoplights on an entire stretch of 110 miles. It is extremely hard to get lost on the road. We had been driving about an hour before we saw any other humans.

There is this space in between town and a place called 'Surfers beach' which is desolate, with only the occasional eagle in the trees. We were just about to the end of the road when we saw a sign which read 'Loose Livestock.' I got a bit of a chuckle out of this, but had didn't actually think we would find any livestock on our path. I was never more wrong. We got to a stop sign at the end of the road and what did I see?? A herd of Bovine taking a stroll down the middle of the road. Not a human insight, just a large group of cows proceeding in an orderly fashion. I was dumb-founded and amazed and broke into hysterical laughter. Such a sight to see.

After navigating through the Bovine we found ourselves in the most beautiful places. The beautiful hills of Kodiak above the ocean, frozen lakes and black stone beaches. Along with the bovine, we encountered buffalo, eagles and wild horses. The locals tel me you wont find any bears unless you happen to run into the dumb ones who aren't hibernating. These are the ones who would be likely to eat you. So lucky for us, we escaped without any fatal attacks!



1 comment:

  1. When do you get out on the boats? Thinking of how cold the weather must be in Alaska, I feel bad for griping about the frost in the mornings over here.

    ReplyDelete